10 Best Gifts for a Retiree's Christmas chosen by a Retiree
Need to begin thinking about gifts for the retiree on your list? Here is the best that I could find. Let me know what you think.
|Fitbit from Amazon|
- A pedometer would be fun. A Fitbit is a wonderful device. If your parents or grandparents or are walking, why not give them a Fitbit so they can keep track of the miles they go each month. Walking made fun is good.
- I cannot tell you how many women I talk to regret the fact that their spouse cannot waltz or tango. How about dance lesson as a couples gift. Even a dance lesson video might be fun. I think my husband and I would be more willing to try this first.
- I would love a gift card from Amazon or a book store. Better yet give the gift that gives all year...Amazon prime is one of the best gifts around.
Runner headlamp from Amazon
- I think one of those little headlamps that runners and bicycle riders use is just quirky enough for the man on your list. My husband received one for Christmas several years ago. We like to walk after dark when we are in the RV resort but in the fall and springs we watch for snakes. When my husband is trying to work in a dark place like under the sink it has saved us a lot of quarrels. (Can't you shine the light where I want it? he says.) You may have to convince the man to actually use it but once he does, he will love it. NOTE: Your grandchildren will love these too!
- Does your favorite senior love to eat but have special needs like a gluten free diet, diabetic safe restrictions or no fat. Find that special treat online for them. Order meal through one of the many services that provide food ordered online. I have a friend that uses them and loves it a lot.
- I think a mini iPad or something like it is a wonderful gift.
Mini from Amazon
- If you senior owns an Kindle or a similar device, give them a gift certificate for some apps or publication on the device.
- Rent a wheel chair so you can take your less mobile parents out for the day. If they have such a thing, make it a beautiful ride. Seniors like cool just as well as the next guy. Just because they are having a hard time getting around temporarily does not mean they should live in a cave.
- Provide a service. Window washing (you can pay someone else to do this), a room painted, general cleaning (hire a housekeeper for a day), some yard work, spreading of bark dust...you add your own idea. Be sure you can fulfill your promises though. If you plan to provide the service yourself, set a date for the offer and don't forget. Your parents/grandparents can be disappointed too. If you are hiring someone, include a gift card for the service.
- Wrapped presents...serious Grandparents/parents love gifts. If they say they don't, they are liars! Even a small gift from a department store can be very special if the wrapping or container is beautiful. Your senior will actually find a way to recycle the box! Make the container part of the gift.
So what would be your favorite? I personally liked the iPad mini. I can see me using it a lot.
Have a wonderful week end. Remember, shop early and avoid the stress. Who needs that?