All of us that write about retirement will talked about hobbies sooner or later. The idea is that when you retire you will have time on your hands. I think a lot of people believe that a life without work will be blissful. Then after a while they realize that they need to fill the days with something meaningful. I know many just think that they will go back to work. But here is an idea...try out a hobby first. Who knows you may just find not working is more fun than you thought.
I have seen very long lists of hobbies over the years. The items always make me laugh. Things like dumpster diving and ambulance chasing catch my interest. I knew a man once that traveled up and down back roads collecting what he thought was valuable stuff. It sounded a lot like working on litter patrol to me. There are people that listen to police transmissions or assemble epic jigsaw puzzles.
But for this blog post I am looking for a few things that are weird or exciting...even a little sketchy. Here are a few new ones I have not seen before.
Urban exploration caught my interest. Below you will see a video taken in the subway tunnels in NYC...going underground guerrilla style could be interesting. I think you are going to like this one even if you aren't interested in trying it out. YouTube has a list of video about this hobby here.
The same author suggested....
Think gardening can’t be an extreme sport? It can’t get your heart pumping? You’re probably right – but guerrilla gardening is still pretty cool.
|Garden planted in shopping bags then left by a lamp post|
|Food Cart Pop-Up Business in Portland|
- Live in a van...park on street corners at night
- Watch the neighbors
- Report the neighbors to the police
- Build a pop-up park (in a parking lot or vacant lot)
- Learn to cut your own hair
- Start an insect eradication business using chickens
- Keep goats and rent them out to eat black berries vines
- Donate blood
- Reverse shop...take items to stores and hang them on the racks
- Give up a vice
- Become a beater for bird hunters
- Build a bunker in case of nuclear war
- Explore asceticism...do without food or soap
- Geo cache (this one could be a lot of fun)
- Become a whiskey/gin/tequila/beer connoisseur
- Make lists
|Pop-up Park built in the parking strip by the road!|
And to think you believed that retirement was going to be boring!
Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that you do any of these that are illegal. This was written with tongue in cheek...sorta!
It Crossed My Mind Blog