Is this what it feels like to be old? My daughter-in-law asked the question...not of us but of the universe in general. She is the mother of a new baby plus 4 other children,in her middle thirties, and a professional. She is not old...she is just a busy woman doing a lot every day.
As for feeling old...I can't say what that feels like. Everyone needs to answer that question if they feel they must. This morning msnbc.msn.com posted an article about happiness and how you find it for yourself. We all know that happiness is a frail emotion that can be crumpled with the raise of an eyebrow. But it can be invoked MSNBC says. How? Information from MSNBC "5 things that make you happier":
- Be grateful. Cicero said Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others. I think he could have added It is the key to wellness and happiness.
- Be optimistic. "...visualize an ideal future...and describe the image in a journal entry."
- Count your blessings. "People who practice writing down three good things that have happened to them every week show significant boosts in happiness, studies have found."
- Use your strengths. Have a good sense of humor? Learn a new joke! Remember if it makes you laugh that is good enough...nothing is sacred!
- Commit acts of kindness. "It turns out helping others also helps ourselves."
Consciously doing these things are effective ways to find true happiness in your life...lighten your burden, your attitude, your pain...it truly is simple. At least I have found it to be so in my life. You might give it a try.